Can I install a Tecrostar mezzanine outdoors?
Tecrostar products can be installed outdoors (exposed to the elements), provided that a series of special measures are taken during installation and that you carry out regular maintenance in order to ensure that the materials are in good condition. The recommendations are the following:
- The Tecrostar mezzanine flooring comprises moisture-resistant plywood structural panels. However, it is recommendable for the customer to apply waterproofing paint to the floor and exposed edges; this will be particularly effective for preventing water from penetrating and getting into the tongue and groove joints of the panels and affecting the edges.
- It is also recommendable to install the mezzanine with a slight slope (approximately 2%) to make it easier for water to run off and prevent it from accumulating. This incline can be achieved by installing levelling plates under the highest columns of the structure.
- Similarly, all wooden components (wooden steps, cleats, etc.) should be treated with some type of water-resistant paint or varnish to prevent dampness from penetrating and cracking the material, thereby resulting in the loss of its mechanical and aesthetic features.
- In addition, wooden components should undergo regular maintenance, the surface protection applied (varnish or paint) being checked to see it has not deteriorated and reapplying when necessary.
- The steel components are coated with paints suitable for outdoor use but as after one or two years the paint will probably need to be touched up in small areas like edges and corners that could show signs of rusting and loss of shine. It is recommendable to polish these areas to remove any rust and then apply the paint.
- If the mezzanine is going to be installed outdoors near the sea, the maintenance recommendations should be carried out more regularly, due to the greater corrosive power caused by the presence of salt and humidity.
- The aluminium handrail of the railings does not require special maintenance, as all of them undergo surface treatments to guarantee their performance outdoors (anodized silver, lacquered in black or with wood effect).
- The structure and its corresponding floor anchors and braces are designed to withstand the actions of the wind. DO NOT CLOSE OFF THE SIDES, as this results in greater horizontal forces not considered in the calculation.